Diamond Pet Food Recall
Diamond Pet Foods expanded its recall of pet food produced at its Gaston, S.C., manufacturing facility to include six additional brands and resumed production at the facility.
Diamond recalled three brands of dry dog food (Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice Formula for Adult Dogs, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula and Diamond Puppy Formula) and ceased production at the Gaston facility in April after samples from each of the brands tested positive for a rare strain of salmonella, S. Infantis.
Public health officials linked the strain to an outbreak of human salmonella infections, prompting the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to launch an investigation to determine if other brands of food produced in Gaston may be linked to the illnesses.
As a precautionary measure, Diamond expanded the recall to include:
- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
- Country Value
- Diamond Naturals
- Premium Edge
- Taste of the Wild
The recalled products are those that have a production code with the number “2” or “3” in the 9th digit and an “X” in the 10th or 11th digit and “Best-Before” dates of Dec. 9, 2012, through Apr. 7, 2013. The products were distributed in the following states and Canada, but may have been distributed further through other pet food channels: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
The recall also includes the following Kirkland Signature products:
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula
- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula
- Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs
The recalled Kirkland products are those with production codes with a number “3” in the 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit and “Best-Before” dates between Dec. 9, 2012 and Jan. 31, 2013. The food was distributed in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Canada and Puerto Rico.
Diamond also set up a website devoted to providing information about the recalls. Diamond states on the site that production and delivery out of its Gaston plant has resumed.
Info provided by Veterinary Practice News